The human body is structures in such a way that our back bone or vertebral column has a significant role to play in the determining how our body functions. This is because it is our vertebral column which helps us stand up straight while walking, helps us carry the weight of our head and shoulders, and helps us bend forward and so on. Therefore it plays a role in a number of functions without which we would find it almost close to impossible to function normally in our day to day lives. This is because the vertebral column helps our body with three main functions which include weight bearing, flexibility and last but not least protection of the spinal which runs through it.
The vertebral column can be thought of a bony canal, the center of which is hollow and houses the spinal cord, which a continuation of the human brain. We have in total 33 different vertebrae which come together in order to make this single column, which in turn protects the spinal cord. Depending on the region in which these vertebrae are found, they are named as cervical vertebrae, thoracic vertebrae, lumbar vertebrae and sacral vertebrae.
If we are to understand how the spine functions and what kind of problems arise from it, it is important for us to have a slight idea about its structure, so that any symptoms which indicates you are suffering from a problem in your spine will prompt you to seek help from a spine surgeon in Gurgaon immediately.
People who are suffering problems in their spine can complain of a variety of symptoms. These include:
- Back pain, which can arise as a result of infections in the vertebrae, or compression of the spinal cord and the spinal nerves.
- They can experience sharp, radiating pain which travels along the back of the leg, a condition which is known as sciatica, and is a common problem which is diagnosed.
- Patients complain of numbness or tingling sensation which are present in their upper limbs as well as in the lower limbs which again can be the result of spinal cord or spinal nerve compression.
- Some people can even develop sudden onset paralysis in certain parts of their body, especially the upper and lower limbs which are more susceptible.
- It is also important to understand that the spinal nerves also play a role in innervating some of our internal organs such as our bowels and bladder. Therefore if there is any damage to these nerves people may experience loss of bowel and bladder control.
Just like a consultation for any other ailment, even your consultation with a spine surgeon in Gurgaon will start off with the doctor obtaining a detailed history of the problem you are suffering from. In this case it is very important that you are precise about your symptoms, its duration and how it has progressed with time. Because all of these play a role in determining how severe your problem might be. Once your doctor has obtained the detailed history he/she will move onto a thorough examination, which includes checking the movement and sensation in your all your limbs. After the examination is done, even though your doctor will have a fairly good idea about the condition you have, he/she will ask you to undergo some investigations such as imaging of the spine, including X-ray of the spine or CT/MRI scan of the spine, which will help them have a clear picture of what is happening.
These investigations will help them determine the severity of the problem and also help them plan the way forward, with regards to the management plan they will want to put you in.
Although it is very rare that doctors suggest for a patient to undergo spine surgery, it may be that the severity of your condition is such that it requires a drastic measure like spine surgery. Because in most cases of spine problems, including mild fractures of the vertebrae, bed rest and limitation of movements help to overcome the problem. In some cases you may have to have strict bed rest for as long as a couple of months.
Just like any other surgery, elsewhere in the body, spine surgery also carries with it its share of risks, but in the hands of a good spine surgeon in Gurgaon, you will be able to minimize them.