Although not a new concept, the importance of telemedicine is recognized during the current COVID-19 pandemic. It starts when there were limited medical facilities available. Telemedicine usually effective for military situations during the civil war. Telemedicine connects doctors to patients from different locations.
However, telemedicine is now more effective because of coronavirus outbreak. It prevents the spread of the virus by minimizing the in-office visits. It minimizes the risk of missing appointments due to poor access to transport and fear of acquiring the COVID-19 virus. Telemedicine allows a patient to connect with a doctor more frequently.
Using telemedicine is efficient also for patients with neurological disorders. Most of the disease require medicine adjustment, lifestyle changes and therapies to limit the progression of the disease. Frequent visits to the office are not required if the doctor may provide effective consultation through telemedicine. Telemedicine provides access to the doctor at any time to clear all the doubts of the patient.
Advantages Of Telemedicine During Covid-19 Pandemic
Telemedicine provides facilities to patients as well as healthcare professionals that reduce the chances of acquiring a viral infection during a COVID-19 outbreak.
- It allows patients to have e-prescriptions.
- Telemedicine reduces the exposure to various pathogens that may present in a hospital environment.Â
- It provides a facility for rapid communication.
- Telemedicine reduces the general visits of the patients.
- Telemedicine is a dedicated platform that is useful in the identification of external signs of such diseases related to dermatology.
- It reduces outpatient visits and overcrowding.
- Telemedicine provides easy access to all kind of specialists without any time boundations and appointment.
- A patient gets quality treatment at a very low cost compared to in-person visits.
- Telemedicine provides a great facility to the people who live miles away from the medical facility or medical hospitals. People can save time and money too. Any hailstorm or snowstorm in a rural area can’t stop you to meet a doctor because of telemedicine.
- Telemedicine can also take care of our healthcare professionals. Doctors get to stay at their home and also get relief from reduced working hours.
- It provides support for people with chronic conditions. Patients can get a prior signal of worsening health and potential emergencies.
Condition Is Neurology Managed Through Telemedicine
Today, neurologists use telemedicine very efficiently. The studies show that 40% of follow-ups reported by neurologists are video-based teleconsultations. Telemedicine is effective especially for the patients with mental illness such as.
Neuropathy is a progressive disease and lifestyle changes can prevent the progression of the disease. Adjustments of medicines such as antidepressants, antiepileptics and cannabis can be helpful in treatment. The treatment may not require a frequent in-person visit. It can be consulted over telemedicine.
Most cases of epilepsy can be controlled through the adjustment of the medications. But lab examinations are still necessary to manage the disease. Telemedicine helps the patient to avoid frequent in-office visits. Telemedicine used to adjust the medicines, discuss the symptoms and prevent the progression of the disease. The doctor may also check the lab reportsduring teleconsultation.
The treatment of Parkinson’s disease involves therapies to control motor functions. It usually includes medicine such as levodopa and dopamine. Disease management can be possible through telemedicine.
The treatment involving the use of corticosteroids, interferons and anti-inflammatory drugs. It requires frequent monitoring of the disease that helps to examine its progression. Telemedicine can be used effectively in the case of multiple sclerosis.
Services Provided During Telemedicine
Telemedicine provides convenient and efficient follow-ups digitally. It delivers medical care through audio/video communication commonly known as video visits. Virtual follow-ups make a huge difference in the world of the healthcare system. The video visits ensure the patient better care coordination even for chronic conditions.
A Doctor can adjust the medicine by adding new medicines or remove unnecessary ones.
A doctor may ask the patient to quit smoking, adjust the sleep cycle, taking a healthy diet and encourage the patient to do regular exercise at least for 30 mins.
Analysis of Laboratory Results:
Telemedicine offers a facility to examine all the laboratory results to provide better guidance to take further precautions. A patient can collect medical data such as lab results, images, video and records from providers at a different location. These platform provides a secure way to share the private medical data of the patient.
Many medical conditions can be treated via telemedicine such as allergies, chronic bronchitis, asthma, back pain, urinary tract infections, diabetes, rashes and upper respiratory infections. Moreover, it plays important role in providing adequate treatment for mental illness, behavioural changes and offers prevention and wellness service. It cannot replace the effectiveness of in-patient appointments but it can be an essential addition to the patient care system.